Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Ac"corporat"ization

Corporate America prides itself on valuing it's diversity as well as it's tolerance. One inadvertent politically incorrect statement often means tumbling down the ladder. A common source of amusement to us corporates is to see newbies struggle with the rules of the game. And by far the most interesting location to see the drama play out is at the lunch table.

Newbie after the US election results: "Bush is such an idiot. I can't imagine why you would vote for anyone but Kerry!!"

Red-stater: "Kerry is worse than Hitler. More innocent souls have been murdered by abortion than during the Holocaust." :O

OR

Newbie trying to show some empathy for a colleague's country: "So what is the Taiwan-China diplomatic battle really about?"

Chinese colleague with a blank stare: "Taiwan does not exist. It is a part of China, not a separate country."

Hence, since every topic with even the slightest importance quickly goes off limits, the experienced corporate learns pretty soon that the only two things which are on the table at lunch are sports .......... and girls.

Yesterday at noon, six guys were sitting at a table and making random conversation. Coincidentally, 5 of them are single and bemoaning their lack of action. From SG (Single Guy) 1 who has resigned himself to a life without dating to SG2 who has had 1 date in the last year to SG3 who has had 12 dates with 7 different women in 3 months (without a single third date!!), we realised that our love lives were varied with the common theme of not getting any.

Just as silence descended on this scene of abject misery, SG3 gets a wistful look in his eyes and goes, "Man!! Things were so much easier in college."

And 5 voices shout, "Exactly".

The icing on the cake. SG4 quips, "Why do you think people stop working, give up the cashflow and go back to grad school? EDUCATION???"

Oh and in case you were wondering, I am SG1. Yes, I lead a miserable, single existence and am consoled by the fact that I am not the only one. :) And you wonder why I am up at 1:30 a.m blogging.

P.S: NO it is not to meet interesting women who might read this while doing random walks on the internet. Although that would be a fringe benefit I could do with. ;)

P.P.S: A quick clarification. Self is loserly enough to have had that train of thought (the one in the P.S) but not quite at the stage where the train of thought is the truth.

P.P.P.S: Friends have been telling me that I am trying to paint a "cool personality" on my blog. Now that this posting is done, I would like us all to take a moment of silence to acknowledge it's demise. :)

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

(after a minute of silence)
:D duh... when i had resigned to the fact that ur blog was pumping more educational shit than those-who-should-not-be-named's blog... it just turned cool like the breeze blowing in hydi now! :)

And in lieu of the fact that i might land up as one of those newbies of the corporate world (might be corporate america, touchwood!)... i copy pasted this entry into my secret book of life ke fundaes! :)

4:49 AM  
Blogger Golu said...

lol hydi main cool breeze is blowing :D I miss hydi :(

ok sorry no more geeky crap from me :D

ps: duh u r cool...ok u r kram...happy :D

6:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Chintoo..try as much as you want but you cant hide your narcissism behind the veil of this “concocted” blog post. I am sorry to say but I didn’t expect you to be so predictable. After our remarks on your previous posts, I knew you would come back with a post which paints a luserly picture of yourself..but seriously dude, I didn’t expect your attempts at that to be this blatant.

Don’t fool yourself..you know you are the biggest self conceited biatch to every walk the face of the 7th floor..DUH!!

8:20 AM  
Blogger Karthik said...

Bloody Batra :) You will crib about anything.

Everyone else, this is one of my IIT seniors @ Capital One. They have been pulling my leg for supposedly making geeky/cool postings :P

Now they will pain me about making loserly/uncool postings.

I miss 4th year @ IIT. I hate being a freshie. :P

Anyways, Batra. At the end of the day, I still have you checking my blog. So all is good.

Kram

9:54 AM  
Blogger roswitha said...

Yo, 'zup? Plus we have already met which is good. :D Found you via Orkut. Would ask for you to make frandships with me, but.

And the girls still talk about your geometric pizza-buying approach.

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhhhh Boy :)
I can just imagine the huuuuge smile on Golus face ;)

11:12 AM  
Blogger Golu said...

i am i am :D

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

<"Man!! Things were so much easier in college."

And 5 voices shout, "Exactly".>

1. I wonder how many IITians can say that resounding "Exactly". Statstically speaking, odds are much better here

2. Chintu, don't mask ur (perhaps newly gained) incompetence with "things are no longer easy" clause

3. The incident can at best be described by 2 commonly observed syndromes:
3.1 Delusional Nostalgia Syndrome (believing in a beautiful past that never existed)
3.2 "Main bhee pehle sher thaa" syndrome (trying to appear cool by making some "been there, done that - but now taking a break" comments to mask fundamental loserliness..

8:50 AM  
Blogger Karthik said...

Given that all 5 of the people at the table were business analysts - synonymous for geek, your hypotheses are pretty likely.

Oh BTW guys this Ravi Prakash is another grandpa types at Capital One.

Anyways, I still stick to my claim that things were easier in college.

Kram

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gaurav batra...take karthik ramkumars case !!!

muahahahahahahahahha :PPP

freshieeee...now u know :D

PS: oi na..post more often,me finally started reading ppls blogs during my 24 hr expts.

PPS: how was purple ??

krishna

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy

It is my first time here. I just wanted to say hi!

3:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home