Friday, June 03, 2005

One in a thousand

I never laid any claims to being normal. So it came as quite a shock when I took a geek test on the internet a month back and was rated "Average geekiness". Turns out all geeks play X Box and write open source code.

When I was a kid I had three library memberships. I was caught reading a book in class and sent to the headmistress's office. My headmistress came to my rescue saying that I did well in my exams because I read so much.

In my first year of college, I used to walk back from Hostel 10 to Hostel 3 every night @ 11 p.m reading a novel from streetlight to streetlight. I studied Electrical Engineering in college and now work as an analyst.

Every second Wednesday of the month I go to a scrabble club. I print out crosswords from the internet and carry them around in my pocket. Discussing a grad student's research on adaptive MRI scanning is normal conversation. I do NOT like to shop.

I swim 3 times a week and diligently note down my timings for 50 and 100 metres, the number of laps I swam and if that isn't enough, I plot graphs. I cannot cook without a recipe. I think Ph.D students are cool. :) I have had the same haircut for 6 years.

My first real mathematical proof was in the 9th standard. Every integer >= 3 can be expressed as part of a Pythagorean triplet involving other integers. And I remember thinking to myself that the girl I end up with should be able to prove this from first principle.

Fast forward to college. I was with a bunch of Xavierite friends one day when we were ordering pizza. And they figure that if 2 6 inch pizzas cost less than a 12 incher, they are getting a good deal - like, duh, do the math. And there I am foaming at the mouth, screaming Pi R square.

I blog.

When I see a spelling mistake, I Google for the various spellings and ponder on the results. I really hope for your sake that you don't know what I mean. A friend of mine types "an year". I google "an year" - 85 thousand pages. I then google "a year" - 85 million pages. And now I am thinking one in a thousand people gets it wrong. What symmetry!

There, it's done. Now, anonymous stranger, you know me for what I am. :) You decide.

Sometimes, I scare me.

10 Comments:

Blogger Golu said...

:D cheap duh...waise one flaw in ur statement though I do know what u meant..... you mean ever integer =>3 is part of a pythagoran triplet containing 2 other NATURAL NUMBERS...note (-2,0,2) and (-1,0,1) are pythagoran triplets involving integers... anyways wtf cares :D

12:22 AM  
Blogger Karthik said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:24 AM  
Blogger Karthik said...

I knew it.

When I was spell checking I considered saying positive distinct integers cos I knew that if I didn't one of you guys would point it out.

I guess we are all just geeks. :)

Kram

12:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

O..M...G We all are geeks...*shrieks*

3:26 AM  
Blogger Pavan said...

:DD wish i was the-guy-who-did-pizza-math.... i mean i was always the the-guy-who-eats-what's-sticking-to-the-boxes'!

Golu... welll.. there are no words...!

10:37 AM  
Blogger Panda said...

oye adaptive MRI kkya hai be?? mujhe bhi bata :P

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now, anonymous stranger, you know me for what I am. :) You decide.

You could only scare poor h2 freshie. And that too when you're drunk and with two other 6 footer.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Karthik said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:53 PM  
Blogger duhcreaturewithdrumsticks said...

moron golu
the essence of the pythagorus theorem lies in tangible geometric objects. you cannot apply it to negative integers!
please go run around with your arms in the air and jump off your balcony!

4:17 AM  
Blogger Golu said...

no viral give up. When ur dealing in complex domains and crap all this holds. Bhosadike... waise to even trigonometric functions hold for tangible things you will say...aisi infi cheezein hai which you thought hold for 'tangible' objects. The pythagorean triplet is a funda and you can use it for right angled triangles

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home