Monday, July 18, 2005

Crash

Last night, I had a dream.

In it two taxis were hurtling down a road. They must have been going at a 100 kilometres an hour. It was a crowded road, a sea of people. There was a sharp turn on the road. Screeching tyres. Both the taxis over-turned. About a 150 people ran towards the accident - some locals, some tourists. I was one of them - I distinctly remember feeling like a tourist. We opened the doors and we saw that there were 24 people between the 2 taxis. They were packed. They were the poorest of the poor - mainly women and babies. We pulled the survivors to safety. 2 women were dead. They were put into the trunk of a passing taxi and sent to the crematorium.

An hour later, I was in a group of 10 odd tourists who had gathered in a nearby restaurant to get some coffee and recover from the shock. Some people were drinking beer. We were feeling good about ourselves - the type of feeling good which accompanies getting your hands dirty to help the under-privileged. I remember someone saying, "I was reaching out to try and help them and the little fella was so ignorant as to what was happening that he was lashing back out at me." I felt sick but I did not say anything. Didn't want to crash the party. I said my goodbyes and walked away.

I woke up.

And I thought about world aid.

9 Comments:

Blogger duhcreaturewithdrumsticks said...

:D:D
what's happened to you dude.
The G8 summit is done with.
Go sell credit cards!
But atleast one moron is 'waking up'!!;)

4:35 AM  
Blogger Karthik said...

Nothing's happened to me baba.

Just the super-vacation with five star treats and beach resort rooms have me feeling a tad bit indulgent I guess. Just random thoughts/incidents which I choose to blog.

Kram

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

du... be careful... otherwise u will soon be branded as 'dark and sarcastic' very soon! :) just an advice from my experience!

5:23 AM  
Blogger duhcreaturewithdrumsticks said...

like i said - atleast one moron waking up :P

8:51 PM  
Blogger duhcreaturewithdrumsticks said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Aswin said...

whats with desis and charity ? my bro's also gone all generous an' all ... but he was anyways nice fellow , so thats coo. what's Your story ? :)

i think its stupid to melt down with africa , when we've been seeing the same kids in india , in flesh and blood, with tears in their eyes as they've begged us for help, and we've done nothing to help them. all cuz of the corporate money , ya think ?

9:10 AM  
Blogger Dagny said...

hey nice blog..
*smiles*

12:14 PM  
Blogger Karthik said...

Aswin,

It isn't only in Africa or India or even the US for that matter. Poverty is most universal and most people are most helpless to doing anything real about it.

And it isn't even about charity. The money is the easy part, the implementation is so much harder.

Anyways, not like I am some expert on the subject. :P Just trying to become a little less detached, is all.

4:22 AM  
Blogger Golu said...

No duh me still agrees with aswin. me thinks he is right abt the fact that we are gen getting senti abt africa (not saying we shudnt) just because of this hype...when we care a damn abt a similar situation in India.

Btw nice blog *smiles and grins*

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home