Monday, August 15, 2005

Reverse Engineering

Standing in a queue yesterday, I slipped into one of those casual conversations with a complete stranger which sometimes turn rather pleasant. I got talking to a Frenchman who runs a vineyard back home. He was complaining about how the French economy was in the dumps.

Nowadays, most topics of conversation seem to take second place to India and soon I was doing most of the talking. He happened to have holidayed in Pondicherry, the former French principality where, coincidentally, I was born, so we got talking places and culture and ashrams and spirituality.

He told me about an English friend of his who is an Indophile who has a rather good deal going. He is a disciple of the renowned Yoga guru Shri Shri XYZ and spends months in the Himalayas learning the art under the guidance of his holiness. Every 5 months he takes a 2-week trip back to Britain where he conducts exclusive yoga classes for his celebrity clientele - rock stars, sportsmen, models, the whole menagerie of the privileged. He earns enough in 2 days to afford a month of the good life in India. When the strains of Western life start to wear on his sense of spirituality, he returns back to the mountains and his hippie girlfriend.

And our parents thought that they were giving us a ticket to the good life by making us engineers.

11 Comments:

Blogger Karthik said...

My life is drifting back to normal after the madness of my India vacation. Time to restart blogging.

Kram

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohh... that fine line between spirituality and 'guruism'! btw, happy Indian independence day dude!

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate queues!
I want to go to the HImalayas!
I think a hippie girlfriend would be cool!

12:40 PM  
Blogger Golu said...

i think ro is give up
i think we havent spoken for quite some time duh
i also want to go to the Himalayas
i think i need to loose weight :(

10:27 PM  
Blogger Akshi said...

Yes. Engineering is boring and going for business school later even more so. Sigh! Life is absolutely on the wrong track.

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Golu said "I think...." Now that's a new one. Himalayas, damn, I'm almost as far from them as you are KRam :(

P.S. Akshi, if you think Engg and Mgmt are boring, wait till you hit the job that comes after.....:((

6:34 AM  
Blogger Golu said...

oye who said engg. is boring :) mereko to ekdum god lagta hai!!!!

4:25 PM  
Blogger duhcreaturewithdrumsticks said...

since everyone's thinking around here - here's a thought
i think this post was cool!
Himalayas are the coolest!
Duh dawg, i don't need western lifestyles to remind me of himalayas - lets all go just there!

8:57 PM  
Blogger Akshi said...

No no, didn't mean to imply that all engineering is boring. Its def'ly interesting if u like the techie stuff.
I think the engineering, management combo is boring and thats where I seem to be headed in life. And Jose, I guess I'll get a taste of the job even before I go in for mgmt (If I do, I still hope to wriggle out of that hole somehow!)

10:20 PM  
Blogger Karthik said...

Akshi,

On behalf of all the people working at Cap1 who read my blog (almost all of whom did engg and then are doing the identical management job) I would like to thank you for making us feel miserable.

Kidding!

K

7:24 AM  
Blogger Akshi said...

Woops! Foot in mouth happened :P. Didn't mean it. Never said it. CapOne rules! Can't wait to get there.

1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home