Sunday, November 30, 2008

My brother Kittu

When I was 10 years old, my parents spent a year in the States on work. Our grandparents had come over to Manipal, where we lived, to take care of me and my brother, Krishna (Kittu). Unfortunately, I had a bad fall and broke my back. I was bed-ridden for a couple of months and then had to wear a back brace for half a year. All this time my parents were extremely worried as they were at the opposite end of the world - and this was the world before Skype and Reliance India call.

Attached is an excerpt from a letter which my grandmom (Paati) wrote to my mom on June 3rd 1993. Needless to say, it made them feel a whole lot better to see that I was well taken care of.

"Krishna brought me to tears when he said 'Please don't worry Paati. I will look after anna. I can easily carry both schoolbags.' He is truly a fantastic kid, may God bless him and Karthik. The more I see him the more I admire him. Yesterday, he packed both his schoolbag and his anna's bag. When I told Karthik that he is very lucky to have a caring brother like Krishna, he said 'Yes Paati, Amma says he has the genes of the entire family - big ears like Thatha, wanting to dress well like the two paatis and meticulous like appa and mugs like amma.' To be responsible when he is not even 9 years old. I hope I don't make you cry."

I have never heard of an elder sibling who was taken care of by his younger sibling. I am one lucky guy!!! What more can I say. :)

Glossary
Paati - grandmom
Thatha - granddad
Amma - mom
Appa - dad
Anna - elder brother

2 Comments:

Blogger Roman said...

Senti Duh :)
Keep writing but.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Logo design portfolio said...

That's such a sweet story, Karthik, and you indeed have quite a sweet younger brother. The story sort of sounds like it might be a small folk tale from Malgudi Days :)

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home