Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The Bee Box

In this small box, my love,
you'll not find a ring,
but instead, a brave, little bee.
He'll be dead by morn, having given his life
defending his flowers against me.
I felt his sting
while picking the small, purple pansies
growing wild along the roadside,
in hopes of an afternoon bouquet for you.
And I grieved the sting,
more for him than me,
knowing full well the price he paid
for my small pain.
And I allowed him his victory,
leaving his flowers as a memory,
and brought you instead
this brave, little bee,
who proves there is love
even in the smallest
of things.

-- Lowell Parker

Once again, a poem in the mail has forced me to revive my blog. Nothing I can say can really add to this. I just wanted to put it up there for you all to read.

Life at my end has been great. Summer has brought with it some amazing weekends and some interesting changes. :) Unfortunately, winter will be coming soon but I do have my India trip and snowboarding to look forward to.

K

19 Comments:

Blogger Shrini said...

awesome man... nothing better to start the day than a good post

9:45 PM  
Blogger Jeet said...

good one.. e-mail forwards kabhi kabhi acche bhi hote hain :)

4:15 AM  
Blogger Karthik said...

@ Shrini,

I had the same feeling yesterday

@ Jeet,

This was not an e-mail forward. This was from the Minstrels mailing list. Go here for more info. You won't be disappointed.

http://www.cs.rice.edu/~ssiyer/minstrels/

6:37 AM  
Blogger Golu said...

cheap senti duh....I wonder what interesting changes :D

5:44 PM  
Blogger Keshava said...

"Revive"? Dubious usage.

Like the second half of the poem. "Lowell" is a name common to several American poets both known and unknown, clearly.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Keshava said...

Have you seen Omkara? It's really fucking good.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Karthik said...

@ grimmettfan,

Revive might be dubious but it probably isn't wrong. My blog isn't too fancy anyway so will let it stay. :)

Also, to the second half of your comment, you are way too snooty for a 16 year old. :P

I did see Omkara. Loved it.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Keshava said...

Still trying to figure out what was snooty about that.

A couple of friends and I started a student newspaper that was quickly banned by the principal. Amazing fun.

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vaguely remember posting this on ilff a long time back...I got the poem in a forward too!
Anyway, welcome back!

12:08 AM  
Blogger Roopa said...

tht was a lovely piece :-)

4:50 PM  
Blogger Golu said...

DUH U DIDNT ANSWER MY QUESTION

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fundoo :)

3:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry. That was me.

Krishna

3:20 AM  
Blogger Roman said...

I hve read this before!! Remember liking it then...now I was just thinking..."I know why there is a bee in the box"! :P

11:48 AM  
Blogger Aswin said...

Nice to see a new post .. what ur blog needs more than a 'revival' is a makeover ... change your template and post more often. welcome back !

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.yale.edu/rumpus/archives/pdf/yalerumpus.com_feb06.pdf

page 8 of the magazine.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Golu said...

Dancing queen...young and sweet ..only seventeeeeen. :) Duh please to write a new blog describing your new dancing and prancing escapades!

11:31 AM  
Blogger Adnan Raja said...

Beautiful Poem !

10:45 AM  
Blogger tav said...

kadak poem!

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home