Monday, August 29, 2005

Alex Ting of Miri

Alex Ting is a small, stocky sixty-year old who lives in Miri, Malaysia. He drives a large van-taxi between Miri and Bandar in Brunei. Three weeks back, my parents, my brother and I happened to need a ride between the 2 cities and we got in touch with him.

We landed at the Miri airport and looked around for our ride. Suddenly, this little fellow came running up and went, “So much luggage”.

My dad was a little shocked at his rudeness but managed a “Will it be a problem?”

“No”.

And he waddled along to the back of his car and pulled out 24 eggs and an enormous bunch of this local fruit called the rambutan.

In a few minutes we were all piled in with our luggage and the exotic cargo and were on our way. Miri is known for its handicraft, tribal heirlooms and the like, and we had intended on buying some. My dad asked Alex if he could stop for a few minutes at a handicraft shop.

“Handicraft. All you Indians – you buy handicraft. Masks, funny things. It is useless. Why you Indians buy handicraft?”

My dad replied without a moment’s hesitation, “So that when I am back home in India, I remember Alex Ting.”

He let out a squeal of excitement and I can swear that his ears turned red. He drove us to the handicraft shop and bought a bunch of trinkets completely forgetting his anti-handicraft lecture just minutes back.

We continued driving under the hot equatorial sun. The inordinately large bunch of rambutans sitting in front of us started to look incredibly inviting. When we stopped at the border-post between the two countries, Alex pulled out the rambutans and conspiratorially handed them over to the border security. It turned out that the fruit were Alex’s “travel insurance”.

It was late in the evening and we were rather close to home when Alex pulled into a petrol pump. With a shout that sounded distinctly like “Wakata Wa” he jumped out of the van and went to fill his petrol. Two minutes later, I was jolted out of my half-sleep by a yelp and the image of Alex running towards the restroom. It turned out that he had held the pump in the opposite direction and had managed to douse himself with gasoline.

Eventually, we got to Brunei. As Alex dropped us off, my dad politely asked him if he knew how to find his way back. Alex dismissed my dad’s offer of help with a “Ya. Sure la”. And just as we were going to leave, he popped out of nowhere and went “Show me, La”.

Alex Ting is a small, stocky sixty-year old who lives in Miri, Malaysia. And there is no one who drives a taxi quite like him.

12 Comments:

Blogger Golu said...

i am sure ro will agree with him..that in december there was no who drove a taxi like u :D

11:57 AM  
Blogger Golu said...

sorry i meant agree with me :D

11:58 AM  
Blogger Karthik said...

LOL! :) Bloody thankless grad student :P

Kram

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah...that drive was fun :D
What with us playing "Highway to hell" on the CD and golu thinking it was a sign frm God :P

12:41 PM  
Blogger Golu said...

seriously....i never thought we would make it richmond :D shit i shud actually blog about our trip to the white house :D

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah rambutans... you are making me miss home...

swag.. the real one..

7:45 AM  
Blogger Nikhil said...

I was a mute visitor to this wonderful blog of yours,up until now.

Curiously I was supposed to post this in the seemingly 'vanished' posting of yours,but since I already read that,I thought you might not mind going throughthis post which I compiled.Provided you haven't already seen and read about what I have there.

Sorry if I read that post if I wasn't supposed to.

PS:If you have a memory for really obscure people,you might recall me as another of Krishna's friends.Not that it matters though :D

11:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice entry on ur blog nikhil...and yeah duh...I read that evasive entry of yours! why did u delete it? why....why?
(why cant it be miiiiiiiiine?) :P

7:50 AM  
Blogger Golu said...

I know i shud post this on NIkhil's blog...but what they hey :D...really nice (or rather sad ??) stuff

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, have u tasted the Rambutans... they are very tasty fruits :)

2:52 PM  
Blogger Karthik said...

Yup they are awesome. Also, in India, we have this fruit called the lychee which is very similar. Please to be leaving your name on anonymous comments.

K

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home